COVID-19 Policies & Procedures
· RMTs must follow all directions provided by the CMOH’s Directive #2, MOH’s COVID- 19 Operational Requirements: Health Sector Restart (May 26, 2020 or as current), MOH’s guidance for their health sector, and sector-specific workplace safety guidelines.
· The procedures in this document pertains to the delivery of care at Body & Health Wellness Spa, by Brittany A Humes Registered Massage Therapist, Medical Acupuncturist. Spa address 774 Cambridge Court, Oshawa, Ontario, L1G 1G2.
· In person Massage Therapy Treatments should only be provided when the anticipated benefits of treatments outweigh the risk to the client and the RMT.
· RMTs should not return to practice if they cannot meet the requirements set by the above.
This document will provide procedures in accordance with the policies set by the College of Massage Therapist of Ontario COVID-19 Pandemic – Practice Guidance for Massage Therapists. Which has been prepared based on Ministry of Health and Public Health Ontario information and resources, in collaboration with other healthcare regulators.
ENVIRONMENTAL PROTOCOLS BEFORE REOPENING
· RMT have made changes prior to reopening the Spa for service to limit any risk of exposure via direct or indirect contact.
o Removed table heating pad.
o Removed decor, not pertinent to treatment delivery, from high touch areas (ie. reception desk, tables in treatment room).
· Vinyl table & stool coverings have been acquired and implemented to provide another barrier to reduce risk of transmission.
· Vinyl pillows will only be used in the spa, and with a linen barrier when needed.
o No pillow case if under bottom sheet.
o With pillow case if no sheet is used as a barrier.
· All screening signs have been printed, and inserted into protective plastic to allow for cleaning and disinfection.
· Signage will be posted outside and within the Spa to provide clientele information on, but not limited to, the following:
o COVID-19 Patient & Visitor information posters.
o General COVID-19 Information poster.
o Physical Distancing Poster.
· RMT’s has complete the following online training:
o IPAC Core Competencies: Additional Precautions, Administrative Controls, Chain of Transmission & Risk Assessment, Control of the Environment, Health Care Provider Controls, Occupational Health & Safety, and Personal Risk.
o Hand Hygiene E-Learning Tool.
o Public Health instructional videos; Hand Hygiene, PPE-Gown & Gloves, PPE- Facial Protection.
ONGOING ONCE THE SPA REOPENS
· Hand Sanitation Stations has been set up upon entry into the house, and treatment room, and reception area.
· A soiled linen bin will be stored outside of the treatment room, in the reception area and away from high traffic/touch areas.
· RMT will close the treatment room door once the room is redressed while they wait for the next client's arrival and screening to be passed and complete.
· Clients are to wait in their vehicle. Your RMT will text/call you when you can come to the porch to be secondary screened or you can wait on the front porch.
· Clients are not to open doors or knock on the door, allow your RMT to open the doors for you.
· Clients must come to the appointment wearing a clean disposable or reusable mask that can be worn throughout the treatment.
· At no time can handshakes or hugging be exchanged.
· Manicures will not be offered.
· Any face waxing will require the client to not speak during the process.
· Facials will be limited, and you will be required to not speak during the process.
· All invoices will be emailed from now on only.
· Clients are required to wash their hands before entering the treatment room.
· RMT will wash hands (including forearms and elbows) with soap and water thoroughly before, after and between each client.
· RMT will wash hands with soap and water in the bathroom while the client is preparing for treatment within the treatment room.
· RMTs will wash hands with soap and water in bathroom while the client is redressing post treatment.
· RMT will follow Hand Washing protocol as directed by Public Health Ontario.
· Signage will be posted on proper hand washing.
· If client or RMT do need to cough or sneeze please do so in a tissue if possible, otherwise their forearm.
· Client and RMT are to refrain from touching their face as much as possible.
CLEANING AND DISINFECTING
· All surfaces in the treatment room, reception, bathroom, front hallway and porch area will be cleaned using the “twice-wipe” method to ensure they have been properly disinfected after every treatment.
· These surfaces will also be wiped down before the RMT’s first client of the day and at the end of the workday.
o This includes, the table, stool, shelf for clothing, door knobs, light switches, bathroom counter/sink/toilet, debit/credit machine, RMTs laptop/mouse, any pens that where used, any door frames touched and anything else that the client or RMT touch in the time that client was here for their treatment.
o All linens and blankets will be changed between each client and stored in a closed container until they can be washed.
o All linens and blankets will be washed and dried in the highest heat possible.
· RMT will sanitize and or wash their hands between undressing and redressing the treatment room.
· RMT will redress the treatment room with fresh, cleaned linens.
· RMTs will ensure all equipment is in good working condition in order to reduce the risk of injury or transmission of infectious diseases.
· The Spa reception area has an air purifier that will run during working hours and the treatment room has a humidifier that will also run during working hours.
· All garbage cans are now step peddles.
· RMTs will maintain a roster of clients who enter the Spa via their appointment schedule.
· RMTs will maintain a contact trace log that will include the names and phone numbers of anyone who enters the Spa space that is not a client. This information will be kept for 10 years.
· Visitors will be made aware of this via verbal communication, if they wish to not be on the contact trace records, they will not be able to enter the premises.
· RMTs will maintain a Cleaning and Disinfection log, that will include but not limited to the following;
o Log date, time of treatment cleaning and disinfection before and after each client.
o Log date, time of each high contact surface cleaning, at minimum twice per day.
o This log will be kept for 10 years.
· All cleaning products have been approved by Health Canada to kill COVID-19 and are applied according to label instructions.
PERSONAL PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT (PPE)
· RMT will wear a surgical/procedure mask (not cloth) during treatment and whenever within two metres of clients.
o Masks will be changed after each client. (if available)
o Masks will be changed whenever wet, damaged or soiled. (if available)
· Client must come to the appointment wearing a clean disposable or reusable mask to be worn throughout the treatment.
o If the client cannot wear a mask (e.g. due to health condition or difficulty breathing), the client may be required to postpone any appointments until they are able to wear a mask or a mask is no longer required. It is up to the RMT’s discretion if to continue the treatment if a client is unable to wear a mask.
o Client will be responsible for informing their practitioner if they are unable to wear a mask for the entirety of their appointment with the Spa and possibly need to reschedule all treatments until a later date.
· RMTs may also (if PPE supplies permit), provide a surgical/procedure mask to be used by the client during treatment at a fee of $3.
o RMT will advise the client how to properly put on and take off the mask to limit possible transmission of COVID-19 if they should need proper guidance.
· Gloves will be used for cleaning only and not during massage therapy treatments as gloves are not recommended to be worn during treatments by the Ministry of Health.
· For EVERY appointment scheduled, clients will be required to virtually complete the COVID-19 Pre-Screening Questionnaire prior to their scheduled appointment.
o Pre-Screening Questionnaire will be sent out at least 24 hours prior to the appointment via email.
· If clients do not sign and return the Pre-Screening Questionnaire by 7pm the day before their treatment, their appointment will be automatically cancelled.
o RMT will document the reason for cancelling treatment within the client’s files.
o It is the RMT discretion whether or not to reschedule the appointment.
· Upon arrival for EVERY scheduled appointment, RMT will verbally review the COVID-19 Pre-Screening Questionnaire with the client and themselves. If BOTH client and practitioner pass screening, they may proceed with the appointment.
· The second screening will be done on the front porch-this way if the client does have symptoms they haven’t come into the Spa.
o RMT also reserve the right to perform a no touch temperature test at this screening if they feel the client is showing signs of a fever. If your temperature is over 38°C, (100.4°F) the client will be turned away at the door.
· If, either RMT or client are unable to pass screening, both must follow the screening fail protocols set out.
o If RMT encounter a client who has gone through the screening process and enters the setting, yet exhibits signs and symptoms consistent with COVID-19, RMT will:
§ Establish and maintain a safe physical distance of two (2) metres.
§ Have the client complete hand hygiene.
§ If the client is not wearing a mask, provide the client with a clean mask.
§ Segregate the client from others in the Spa.
§ Explain the concern that they are symptomatic, discontinue treatment and reschedule the appointment.
§ Advise the client that they should self-isolate and complete the online self assessment tool before calling their primary care provider or Telehealth Ontario.
§ Clean and disinfect the practice area and anywhere the client is likely to have touched immediately.
§ Ensure a record is kept of all close contacts of the symptomatic client and other visitors and staff in the clinic at the time of the visit. This information will be necessary for contact tracing if the client later tests positive for COVID-19.
· Documentation of both client and RMT screening results will be made in the clients file.
o If at any time the RMT feels they are exhibiting any symptoms and feel it is unsafe to treat clients they will be cancelling clients immediately and reschedule when it is fit to do so.
· RMT reserve the right to not treat a client.
· Clients are not to show up at the Spa if:
Clients doesn’t pass the first virtual COVID-19 Pre-Screening Questionnaire. o Client is currently positive for COVID-19.
o Client is waiting for test results for COVID-19.
o Client has been identified as a contact of someone who has tested positive for COVID-19 or been asked to self-isolate by Public Health Ontario, the Communicable Disease Control or any other Government Health Agency.
· At this time, the spa will not be accepting new clients. this is for the safety of the current clientele, RMT family, and the RMT.
· The Spa online booking system will remain disabled until further notice, you will have to email, or text the Spa to book in.
· A maximum of 5 clients will be treated each day.
· There will be 30 minutes between each client, this is to help with all the cleaning/disinfecting, record keeping, set up for the next client, and screening protocols.
· RMT reserve the right to thoroughly assess the possible risk vs benefit of proceeding with treatment, and will cancel and reschedule appointments where the risk will outweigh the benefits.
· Clients CANNOT show up to their scheduled appointment if they haven’t completed the first virtual COVID-19 Pre-Screening Questionnaire by 7pm the day before their treatment.
o Client must pass the first virtual COVID-19 Pre-Screening Questionnaire.
· Clients are not to show up early for your scheduled appointment.
o When ever possible show up to your appointment alone.
o If client shows up with another person, that person will also be screened upon arrival for contact tracing purposes. They will also be required to wear a mask.
· Clients are to wait in their vehicle or the Spa front porch and RMT will text/call you when you can come to the porch to be screened.
· A secondary COVID-19 Pre-Screening Questionnaire will be done on the Spas front porch.
· Client will enter the Spa and before entering the treatment room client will be required to properly wash their hands. Spa has provided cloth towels or paper towels for clients to dry their hands with.
· Client will then be allowed to enter the treatment room and RMT and client can discus what the client would like for their treatment.
· While client is getting ready for their treatment, RMT will be washing their hands (including forearms and elbows) with soap and water.
· RMT will knock and make sure client is ready, once RMT enters the treatment room, RMT will sanitize their hands.
· Once client’s treatment is done, while client is redressing RMT will wash their hands.
· Payment/rebooking will proceed at the reception area.
· Client will put their footwear on, and RMT will open the doors for you to leave to go to your vehicle.
Please note as the Covid-19 situation evolves some procedures may be changed or added. We will update our guidelines document of any changes. We will also inform clients as needed of any changed begin made.